It takes five years to study veterinary medicine. Once you've completed your studies you'll have to do a federal exam in veterinary medicine to earn your federal diploma as a vet and practice the profession in Switzerland.
Veterinary medicine involves the following:
- Measures to promote the health and wellbeing of animals that are ill or have suffered an accident
- Working to improve animal breeding, husbandry, and nutrition
- Investigating, preventing, and treating diseases
- Protecting people from harm through animal diseases
- Monitoring foodstuffs of animal origin (veterinary public health)
- Addressing issues related to animal welfare and environmental protection